[asterisk-dev] New license for db?

Philippe Lindheimer p_lindheimer at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 14:12:56 CDT 2008

I'm getting into this a bit late so sorry if I'm repeating something already said.

It would be great to see an option for astdb to use an alternative DB other than the builtin BerkleyDB. What ever changes are made though should be transparent to current astdb calls so that we can make sure to preserve the eco-system that revolves around Asterisk. (Manager access to astdb today and AGI scripts - which is used by GUIs, XML scripts, apps like iSymphony, etc.)

Russel is correct that anyone who does not need anything special should not be impacted, things should just work.

What I have always envisioned, conceptually, is to modify the db.c code so that you could configure it to transparently use func_odbc.c under the covers, thus preserving everything including all internal Asterisk code and the rest of the eco system around Asterisk.

If those are already implied in the previous discussion, then great. Otherwise...

Philippe Lindheimer
FreePBX Project Leader