[asterisk-dev] Notify with Caller ID

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Nov 4 13:49:07 CST 2008

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>
>> For systems that are not under very heavy load, while walking the
>> channel list is expensive, it's not the end of the world.  I would
>> suggest simply supplementing the documentation of the option in sip.conf
>> to note that the current implementation has a performance impact for
>> systems under load that will make the option unusable.
>
> In addition, we've already suggested to Sean that he add some sort of
> ast_channel_walk_callback() that would make the channel search less
> expensive than it is today; this would not solve the entire problem, but
> would make it a little more tolerable.

Yes, that would make the channel search more efficient, without a doubt.
  However, I don't want to go _too_ far down this road.  If we were
going to put any significant effort into making channel searching more
efficient, I would much rather go the route that I started a long time
ago (my chan_refcount branch) which has channels in an astobj2 hash
table, uses reference counts, and makes a number of things much more
efficient.

Hopefully I can spare some time to get it done at some point ...

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer