[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri May 30 10:45:01 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:59:36AM -0400, Ward Mundy wrote:
>  > So... the two areas where code changes in Asterisk affect these systems
> are
> > API changes and CLI/dialplan syntax changes. An example of an API change
> > would be the ast_config_load function which, I am told, now requires that
> an
> > additional parameter be passed.
>
> >> What was this change? When? What was the rationale for doing it?
>
> What: The change was to add an additional parameter presumably with
> additional functionality.
> When: Asterisk 1.6-beta
> Why: I've assumed that the improvement was for the best of reasons. That
> doesn't change what I've suggested.

Let's be more specific here.

Relevant change:
http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk?view=rev&revision=107791

The new parameter is "who asked". This parameter is one that has no sane
default value. At least at first glance. Hence simply providing a
backward-compatible wrapper will not work.

If you have better suggestions, I would suggest a separate thread for a
clean start t discuss that specific matter. For instance, you might
argue that under some circumsances it would be safe to assume that there
is only one specific caller of a config file. I have no idea how safe
this is to assume.

> >> Arguing that something is bad because "I was told so" makes it pretty
> difficult for anybody to give you sensible answers.
>
> You're certainly proving that. I didn't say it was bad. I said it was
> different. I was told it was different by Jared Smith. I assumed he knew
> what he was talking about since he offered a patch to un-break Cepstral.

BTW: I hope you can read ODF.
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.6.0/doc/api-1.6.0-changes.odt
(by jpeeler)

> >> What prevents you from fixing it? Or paying someone to fix it?
>
> Knowing how prevents me from fixing it. Not sure why it would be my
> responsibility to pay someone to fix something that someone else broke. I'm
> not making a nickel off of this stuff. Digium (and others like you) are.
>
> >> where can I find the latest versions of: phpagi (homepage lists latest
> version as released on 2005)
>
> Any current version of FreePBX or PBX in a Flash will have the latest
> supported version of phpagi.

(The fact that FreePBX folks have been keeping their own separate copy
is a matter for a different education effort.)

> >> Generally if some software is left unchanged for two years, with not even
> bug fixes, I start suspecting no one uses it.
>
> That kinda says it all and explains the problem better than I ever could
> have.

Some things are left unchanged. Some programs improve.

A facility was added to AGI to simplify access to the manager interface.
The developers didn't really like it at first, but by popular request,
it was added.

I don't suppose that there's any reason to adapt phpagi to support it,
right?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com