[asterisk-dev] Astricon question: four or five tracks?

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Sat Jun 14 20:34:26 CDT 2008

At 2:46 AM +0000 2008/6/13, Nicolas Chapleau wrote:

>As the Asterisk user base expands and possibly Astricon with it, the
>attendees become more diversified and could benefit from additional
>tracks. I agree with Matt on trying as much as possible to identify
>and lay out the tracks so that one doesn't impede another too much.
>You might even have repeat talks on known popular topics, or again
>as Matt points out, nightly video replays.
>
>    This being said, I like the 5 track option. Heck, add the Dallas
>Cowboy Cheerleaders as a sixth track and I'll attend that one too!
>
>NicChap

So far, it seems that the general consensus (public and private
replies) is that we should add the fifth track.  Thanks to those that
have responded, publicly and privately.

I agree that we will have to work hard to schedule the talks so that
sessions that would be interesting to a particular set of people will
not overlap, but Asterisk components appeal to different people in
different arrangements so this may not be possible in all cases.

I did receive one objection so far to the fifth track because of the
fear of missing a good talk in the other four tracks.  However, I'm
not sure how we overcome that problem if we don't add the track, as
we would have to dump 11 talks if we didn't have that additional room
for speakers, meaning that the results would be identical: some good
talks would not be able to be seen.

The suggestion by you and others of creating videos of the talks is a
good one, and we had already started the discovery process of
determining cost for doing just that.  If we determine that it is
within the budget, our goal would be to make the videos available to
conference attendees as soon as possible after the talks are over to
allow participants to see the talks that they had missed due to
scheduling.  This decision and arrangement is still pending, but
we're hoping that we can do this to address the concerns of
overlapping tracks.  More on this hopefully soon.  I would suspect
that most (but possibly not all) of the videos would be available
only to attendees if such a videography can be arranged.

Nicolas: we'll leave your concept of a sixth track involving sequins
and pom-poms as a hypothetical concept, though feel free to suggest
it for next year.  :-)

JT

John Todd              jtodd at digium.com
Asterisk Open Source Community Director