[asterisk-dev] Strange Asterisk Behaviour - Stuck channels

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Wed Jul 30 13:28:48 CDT 2008

"current release versions" which more specifically means 1.4.21.1 &
1.4.21.2 but it has been occurring for a while so at least 1.4.19 is
also effected but it could go even further back.

Unfortunately when it first started happening I didn't recognize it as a
bug with Asterisk.

For the first many times this happened I wrongly assumed that the
garbled audio was a problem with the phone, not with Asterisk.

In hindsight I realize that normally one of the channels is just dead
air which causes a choppy "roboto" sound on the other audio channel
which sounds like a malfunctioning phone handset.

It was only by fluke that yesterday the one of the two bridged audio
channels happened to be music on hold which I could distinctively hear.
So for the first time I realized that the problem was much different
that I originally thought.

I then did a packet capture (tcpdump) and was able to see RTP packets
streaming to the phone even the phone was on-hook.

Keeping the call open I then issued a "soft hangup" to the other channel
and the audio cleared up and everything was back to normal.

Previous to this event I had never connected the garbled audio problem
with the stuck channels.

--
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca