[asterisk-dev] Locking, coding guidelines addition

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Jul 4 16:29:45 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Simon Perreault
<simon.perreault at viagenie.ca> wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 16:49:00 Steve Totaro wrote:
>> I am talking about the constant deadlocks and crashes in Asterisk.
>
> I am truly very sorry, but I still do not understand. I persist because the
> differences in the style of coding between Asterisk and FreeSWITCH are of a
> special interest to me.
>
> You said "why not use locks like Callweaver" (meaning FreeSWITCH)
>
> Surely you did not mean "why not use the constant deadlocks and crashes in
> Asterisk like FreeSWITCH"? (substituting "locks" for "the constant deadlocks
> and crashes in Asterisk")
>
> --
> Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
> Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.

Just speaking to the deadlock issue with freeswitch and the ability to
handle MUCH more capacity.

"That's when I first heard it. That word. The one I can never forget, deadlock.

That was the first time, but it wasn't the last. I learned all about
the GNU debugger that day and it was just the first of many incidents.
Deadlock in the queue app. Deadlock in the manager, Avoiding Deadlock
on my console. It was starting to get to me a little but I kept going.
By this time I was also quite familiar with the term Segmentation
Fault another foe to the computer developer. After about a year's time
wrestling with bugs I found myself a lot more well-versed in the C
programming language than I even imagined and near Jedi caliber
debugging skills. I had a working platform running several services on
a DS3 worth of TDM channels spread over 7 asterisk boxes and I had
given tons of code to the project including some entire files on which
I hold the copyright. http://www.cluecon.com/anthm.html"

Since I am not a developer but an advanced tech, I can tell you beyond
a shadow of a doubt that FreeSwitch handles much more capacity.

Maybe this will help.  http://www.anders.com/cms/266/Asterisk.vs.FreeSWITCH

Thanks,
Steve T