[asterisk-dev] Caller/connected line ID updates * I NEED YOUR INPUT!!!

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 05:01:25 CDT 2008

Hello,

I've dealt a lot with CallerID-related issues with all sorts of
carriers, clients and applications all over the world on many
different types of systems. Here is a quick example of what I think
Asterisk should do with callerID information in trunk.

Each channel would have the following callerID containers:
- inbound_caller_id_num
- inbound_caller_id_name
- inbound_ani
- outbound_caller_id_num
- outbound_caller_id_name
- outbound_ani
- xfer_caller_id_num
- xfer_caller_id_name
- xfer_ani
- caller_id_active
- call_label

The callerIDs are separated by name, number and ANI as well as the
end-point that the specific IDs came from.

caller_id_active is the definition of the callerID name and number
that would be used when an action like a Redirect takes place
(inbound, outbound, xfer).

call_label would be a definable label within Asterisk for a call that
would follow a channel just like callerID currently does. This is
present because channel variables do not always traverse all channel
types and channel bridging and this field would allow more complete
and much easier tracking of a channel by 3rd party applications.

With all of these containers of data, just about any kind of CallerID
could be served no matter the technology or application.

I hope this helps,

MATT---