[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.4.18-rc2 Now Available

Matt Riddell matt at venturevoip.com
Wed Jan 30 17:49:50 CST 2008

Matt Riddell wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>> Atis Lezdins wrote:
>>> When running valgrind - i often got "show channels" displaying nothing
>>> or just few lines and then breaking (without total sum of channels).
>>> I've seen this "show channels" behavior  under high load, within
>>> previous versions. Does "show channels" have some kind of name
>>> validity check?
>> Keep in mind that valgrind slows down the application _a lot_.  You will reach
>> high load much sooner than you would running without it.  It does make sense
>> that some of the behavior you are seeing could happen.  If the channel walk code
>> waits too long for the lock on a channel, it will skip it.  Though, it generally
>> doesn't happen unless there is a deadlock.  However, you certainly should always
>> see the summary printed at the end no matter what ...
>
> We're seeing some pretty horrid graphs from our predictive dialer which
> is doing show channels concise.
>
> Basically channel count drops from 200 to 0 and then back to 200 in the
> blink of an eye - we don't even parse it unless we get the "response
> complete" message (or whatever it is).
>
> Some of the machines are pretty highly loaded.
>
> Is there any way we can increase the amount of time it waits for a
> channel lock, or stop it from reporting the data if it is unable to
> present it correctly?

Answering for archives:

<russellb> ZX81: 2 things
<ZX81> yep
<russellb> open up main/channel.c ... go to channel_find_locked()
<russellb> the top level for loop ... change the 10 to something else ...
<russellb> also ... change if (retries == 9) to be 1 less than whatever
you change 10 to
<ZX81> ok cool thanks man
<russellb> np
<ZX81> and if I make it too high I could be looking at a deadlock or
just slowed machine?
<russellb> increasing it will not cause a deadlock
<ZX81> ok cool
<ZX81> cheers

- --
Kind Regards,