[asterisk-dev] measure call quality for performance test

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Jan 28 15:01:48 CST 2008

Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 14:41 -0500, Di-Shi Sun wrote:
>> We plan to do the performace test again with bi-direction media
>> stream. Somebody mention to us that we should measure the call
>> quality. Does anybody have ideas about how to do it? Does Asterisk
>> provide any support for it?
>
> You may want to go look up RTCP and start looking to see if your
> endpoints will send RTCP reports.  I've found this is a first good step
> in monitoring call quality.

Are there any good tools for looking at RTCP reports? Wireshark is a
bit cumbersome for the job, and the Asterisk support for storing RTCP
values for statistics seems a bit lacking still. Or maybe I just don't
know how to use it properly, that's certainly likely.

It would be nice if something like the patch from
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=10590 would be accepted into 1.6.

/Benny