[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Jan 15 14:58:32 CST 2008

"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> writes:

> And what is not being talked here are the negatives of daily snapshots
> (seen with many other open source projects, including Rockbox (which I
> am a major fan of) who decided to stop doing them and instead make
> binary builds after every commit)...

Absolutely, there are downsides to daily snapshots. I'm not sure
they're worth it for the Asterisk project, but they do have some
upsides too. Luckily I don't have to make the decision.

> I cannot even imagine someone who wants to take a random daily snapshot
> that may very well be broken (and known to be broken) and repackage it
> into some other format for distribution... it just seems like an
> enormous waste of effort.

If you are referring to me talking about building a package, that
package would just be for my own consumption, not for distribution. I
just do it to make sure that I can always go back to the old version
without having to worry about testing bits left around somewhere.

Building a quick-n-dirty package is a very quick process. Building a
proper package for distribution as Jeffrey C. Ollie does is much more
work, and I wouldn't want to do that for a nightly (I wouldn't want to
do it at all, in fact, so I'm grateful that someone else is doing it).

/Benny