[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Tue Jan 15 17:45:19 CST 2008

On 21:58, Tue 15 Jan 08, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> writes:
>
> > And what is not being talked here are the negatives of daily snapshots
> > (seen with many other open source projects, including Rockbox (which I
> > am a major fan of) who decided to stop doing them and instead make
> > binary builds after every commit)...
>
> Absolutely, there are downsides to daily snapshots. I'm not sure
> they're worth it for the Asterisk project, but they do have some
> upsides too. Luckily I don't have to make the decision.
>
> > I cannot even imagine someone who wants to take a random daily snapshot
> > that may very well be broken (and known to be broken) and repackage it
> > into some other format for distribution... it just seems like an
> > enormous waste of effort.
>
> If you are referring to me talking about building a package, that
> package would just be for my own consumption, not for distribution. I
> just do it to make sure that I can always go back to the old version
> without having to worry about testing bits left around somewhere.
>
> Building a quick-n-dirty package is a very quick process. Building a
> proper package for distribution as Jeffrey C. Ollie does is much more
> work, and I wouldn't want to do that for a nightly (I wouldn't want to
> do it at all, in fact, so I'm grateful that someone else is doing it).

Building a package from svn is pretty simple.
At least for debian and openbsd it is. They have tools for
that and all it takes is 2 or 3 command line actions and you
are done.
This is no different from creating packages from a tarbal.

just my 2 cents.

PS: nightly tarbals have more disadvantages then advantages
in my opinion. It would be nice to have beta/rc releases in
the 2-4 weeks before a release is done. This is only if
there is new stuff. for bugfixes this can be brought down to
1 week.

--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu