[asterisk-dev] Unstable releases lately

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 15 14:06:52 CST 2008

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> You can say that the people turned off by version control aren't worth
> bothering with. You can say that it's all psychology and they should
> just get with the program. What you can't say is that none (or
> extremely few) are turned away.

And what is not being talked here are the negatives of daily snapshots
(seen with many other open source projects, including Rockbox (which I
am a major fan of) who decided to stop doing them and instead make
binary builds after every commit)...

If a change is made an hour before the daily snapshot occurs that causes
breakage and the fix is committed after the snapshot occurs, then the
snapshot is broken and this vast army of testers that people are all
talking about will report the breakage even though it could be easily
fixed by typing 'svn update' a second time in their working copy checkout.

I cannot even imagine someone who wants to take a random daily snapshot
that may very well be broken (and known to be broken) and repackage it
into some other format for distribution... it just seems like an
enormous waste of effort.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies