[asterisk-dev] Coding guidelines change (proposed)

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Tue Feb 26 16:39:02 CST 2008

Steven S. Critchfield wrote:
> ----- "Jon Pounder" <JonP at inline.net> wrote:
>> Quoting Donny Kavanagh <donnyk at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I agree with russ and some others, we should make that the policy
>> for all
>>> new submitted code, but i dont think we should go back and modify
>> every
>>> single if statement without brackets, that would be a nightmare.
>> And the
>>> possibility of introducing bugs would be large.
>> and so would the possibility of finding bugs that are there already
>> but undiscovered.
>
> I don't think so. You seem to assume that a person doing a janator project is actually doing any real reading of the code. On previous janitor projects I have helped with, I did not actually read the code. I did the grep of the code for lines needing changed, and then edited those instances for whatever the project called for.
>
> In this case, I would probably use the same grep line Tilghman used for the example, and only read enough of the code to make sure I am only touching statements that are specified in the janitor project scope. Then move on to the next line.

Well, one can easily verify changes like this by calculating md5 of
compiled object (.o) files before the change in question and after it.
Adding braces/indentation properly should not result in any changes in
the generated code. However, I agree that chances that re-styling would
actually fix any existing issues are pretty slim.

Regards,
--
Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.