[asterisk-dev] [non]optimized builds

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Wed Feb 6 04:06:38 CST 2008

On 2/6/08, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:53:07AM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't mind seeing some statistics that back that claim up and add some
> > clarity.  For example, are only released versions optimized by default?  What
> > about development or beta versions?
>
> Practically all of the code released is built with -O2 / -O3 .
>
> > Should those versions include debugging
> > symbols and be unoptimized by default?
>
> Debugging symbols are a different matter, and unrelated to optimiations.
> In fact, most binary packages of Asterisk keep the debugging symbols in
> a separate package so you won't have to install them if you don't need
> them. You can install them in retrospect after a crash to examine a core
> file.

There was a small discussion regarding this on #asterisk-dev and it
makes us wonder, why asterisk is compiled with -O6 and what does that
means (there's no docs anywhere).

Could it be that -O2 would give completely valid debug info, and could
be used by default?

It would be also useful to have menuselect option for debug symbols.

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins