[asterisk-dev] wctdm 4/8/24 VMWI generation capabilities

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Dec 10 13:14:23 CST 2008

To clarify what I wrote:

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:55:02PM +1300, Alec Davis wrote:
> I've been looking over the code for the wctdm and the wctdm24xxp looking for
> clues on how to turn on the message waiting lights of various connected
> analog phones.
>
> I see there has been some work regarding neonmwi monitoring for an FXO port,
> but couldn't find anything to generate the VMWI for an FXS port.
>
> There are various forms of VMWI that seem to be around;
> 	FSK sending to an On-Hook phone, Here in NZ Telecom do that when you are
> subscribed for message waiting service, hence many phones available here
> support it. There is no 'wake up' event though, like a ring burst, no line
> reversal, no zero voltage, just the FSK data.

This is done by Asterisk's chan_dahdi mainly, nad should work with just
about any DAHDI FXS adapter.

> 	Other phones available have line reversal, MWI. This works by reversing the
> idle line voltage while messages are waiting,

I'm not familiar with that. I'm not sure if there's any driver that
supports it. I'm quite sure chan_dahdi does not support it directly.

> the same phone DORO AFTI 22
> also supports Neon High voltage MWI.
> 	Neon High voltage (90V) set on the line while messages exist, either
> permanantly or flashing.

This is the specific type that I mentioned that is supported b your
driver. I'm not aware of it supported by the wctdm24xxp drivers.

> 	Stutter Dialtone, only informs the user they have messages when going
> off-hook, is a very manual process to be alerted if messages exist.

This one, again, is generated by chan_dahdi and should work with just
about any DAHDI FXS adapter.

> The wctdm code has 'reversepolarity' variable throughout the code whereas
> the wctdm24xxp which I guess started from the wctdm base code hasn't.
> What was the intention of the 'reversepolarity', as it feels like the right
> variable to manipulate if there are messages waiting for this extension?
>
> The bigger project is to support MWI FSK data periodically sent to each FXS
> port.

This is already done periodically by the monitor thread.
The neon LED signalling actually uses that information sent from
Asterisk. In newer versions Asterisk sends an ioctl with the information
that VWMI is needed (or not) to the channel driver.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com