[asterisk-dev] Error msg: Asterisk is not Thread safe

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Dec 6 17:23:52 CST 2008

On Saturday 06 December 2008 13:20:51 Derek Smithies wrote:
> Hi,
>   Terry - more details please.
>
> What hardware cards are in your machine - how many active lines etc..
>
> What driver/svn version etc?
>
> It might be mobo specific.. It might be memory related.
>
> It could be compiler specific.
>
> Can whoever is getting these thread messages please report what exactly
> they have on their box too please..

I have the actual code converted into an independent source file, with
debugging messages, so you can see where the error lies.  I have attached
the C source here.  You can compile this with:
	gcc -o testcase -pthread testcase.c

This appears to be a problem on Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, while 7.10 is okay.
Also, Debian Lenny does not appear to manifest this issue.  Of note is that
Ubuntu 7.10 uses glibc version 2.6.1, while 8.04 and 8.10 both use glibc 2.7.
It would be helpful for several people on different distributions to run this
testcase program, and report back the distribution name, version, and glibc
version on that machine.  My suspicion is that this is either a glibc issue
that Debian has fixed and has not made its way into Ubuntu yet, or else
Ubuntu introduced this problem downstream of Debian.  Knowing whether
other distributions on glibc 2.7 also have this issue will help us isolate
the cause.

--
Tilghman