[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 peer matching working differently

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Wed Apr 30 15:05:51 CDT 2008

Friends, co-developers and users,

We had a discussion here in Huntsville (yes, the vikings are invading
the dev team over here again) yesterday about the changes done to
chan_sip device matching. Steve Murphy's code means a HUGE improvement
over the old linked lists that bogged down large installations and is
a huge step forward, but...

During last week, in the Asterisk SIP Masterclass, I realized that
there was one area I hadn't discussed with Steve and we want to
consult the rest of the community to see how important this is for
you. Please try to follow this logic.

Today, we match on peers on IP address and port for incoming calls by
traversing the list of SIP peers from top to bottom. In the top of the
list, we have the last defined peer in sip.conf. So we match sip.conf
[peers] from bottom up. This is something I've covered in multiple bug
reports, multiple e-mails on mailing lists and in my trainings -
instructing users to use the last peer, because that's the context
where the call will end up.

This really affects you if you have multiple registrations with one
service provider. Even if you have multiple peer definitions that you
use for outbound calls, only the last one will be used for inbound
calls. We have code in the works to fix this issue, but that's how it
works today.

With the new code in svn trunk (not 1.6.0) we will match any peer by
using hatches. We can't really say which one.

The big question here is:
- Will this break your configurations?
- Is this breaking backwards compatibility or is it non-important? Do
we need to find a way to restore this functionality, or can we just
ask users to add the right context for each peer while we're waiting
for the final solution to this problem?

Looking forward to your insightful feedback as always!

Greetings from Huntsville!

/Olle