[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Manager/Gateway Interface SOAP (gSOAP)

Gregory Nietsky gregnietsky at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 09:34:59 CDT 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 02:04:56PM +0200, Gregory Nietsky wrote:
>
>> i have a requirement for sending AMI events to a Commercial CRM server
>> for things like  inbound call notification and data push to the client.
>>
>> there 2 approaches the invasive and non invasive approach the non
>> invasive is a simple daemon/soap client that fires off a packet when one
>> is received
>> a rather trivial task ..the invasive approach will be to compile the
>> bindings for a predefined WSDL file into a shared lib with gSOAP this
>> will be linked to
>> asterisk and any manager event will be sent to to the current AMI and
>> fired off in a soap envelope to the configured server.
>>

> What are the benefits of this as opposed to the "non-invasive" method?
>
> Have you considered using astproxyman? It already provides 3 different
> backends. I suppose adding another "output format" for it would not be
> such a big deal.

the only one i can see is that it does not require a external daemon
such as astproxyman and friends ...
it surely can be added pretty much anywhere ...
>> wether it is done as a standalone daemon or integrated the generation of
>> the WSDL is the key i have one that im using on apache/php for sending
>> CLI commands and reading responces from a drop down list of servers
>> uptime/show chan/sip show peer ....
>>

> Surely possible today through the manager interface. Why do you use CLI
> commands?

yes it was done via the manager interface useing phpagi
($agi->command(....)) to be able to demonstrate it run cli command on
server fire one off from a soap client same results ....
when there are 30 servers out there and there is a requirement for
central monitoring AJAM will do nicely for this aswell in most cases and
is prefered but not always possible.
>> im extending this to sending events
>> and prehaps this should be hooked into the webserver on asterisk instead
>> of apache running on the box ...to make asterisk 100% SOAP ... allowing
>> for some some interesting  possibilities ...Email  integration  more
>> consoles with wider features ....
>>

> AJAM was already added to the core of Asterisk. I'm not sure everybody
> think that it was such a good idea.

yeah AJAM does plenty allong the same lines i can see the overlap and
parallels  through this out for discussion and to play nice with the M$
challenged.

>> if you got so far you might be asking about licencing ...
>>
>> gSOAP is released under 3 licences allowing for commercial use alongside
>> the GPL
>> A quick search gives me a number of soap-related libraries, and those
>> seem to have less murky licenses.

as long as the code was not generated from a pre-existing WSDL file it
is fine to use basically create a header file and let the toolkit build
the WSDL it is open game.

there are libraries out there gsoap is more a tool kit than a library
and as such can be put into the code in a very neat way without causing
pain and suffering demanding many changes
i personaly hate the concept of SOAP and friends the reality is that its
out there and if we want to be more interoperable with the M$ monkeys we
have to sell our souls to the devil at times.