[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Manager/Gateway Interface SOAP (gSOAP)

critch critch at basesys.com
Sat Sep 22 11:12:17 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 14:04 +0200, Gregory Nietsky wrote:

> i have a requirement for sending AMI events to a Commercial CRM
> server
> for things like  inbound call notification and data push to the
> client.
>
> there 2 approaches the invasive and non invasive approach the non
> invasive is a simple daemon/soap client that fires off a packet when
> one
> is received
> a rather trivial task ..the invasive approach will be to compile the
> bindings for a predefined WSDL file into a shared lib with gSOAP this
> will be linked to
> asterisk and any manager event will be sent to to the current AMI and
> fired off in a soap envelope to the configured server.

I am thinking that the invasive approach there is going to be much more
work than the reward. You are talking about getting into the core of
asterisk for a bit of functionality that is not in high demand for the
rest of the userbase and therefore maybe not so likely to get merged.

Your less invasive way of integrating would eliminate licensing
problems, and insulate yourself from changes to the asterisk core. I
also think this would be the easier way and less likely to cause your
phone system to crash if there is a bug in the soap implementation.

My biggest concern over all is yet another port open on a default box,
more code inclusion from outside vendors that could be exploitable, and
the actual demand and usage of this for the majority of users. Granted
even if this makes it into core, it will likely be selectable and just
be yet another feature I personnaly disable on every build.
--
critch <critch at basesys.com>