[asterisk-dev] Creating a MoH source

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Oct 9 16:42:29 CDT 2007

At 5:38 PM -0300 2007/10/9, Paulo Garcia wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to use my channel driver as a music on hold for Asterisk.
>My hardware has a line-in interface, as a standard sound card but
>due to my SDK limitations, I can access this line-in audio only
>using my channel driver instead of a external application. (The
>channel driver has other duties like PSTN interface, etc).
>
>My first thought was reading the line-in samples from inside my
>channel driver and write it to a pipe or something. Then, I could
>try to configure the musiconhold.conf to run an external script that
>read from this pipe. I think it can works but I'm not convinced that
>it is a good solution.
>
>Any advice on this?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>--------------
>Paulo Garcia
>Pika Technologies Inc

Paulo -
   Perhaps an interesting concept would be to write a channel driver
that turned audio directly into an MP3 stream that could be uploaded
to a broadcasting server (or served locally).  Then  you could just
use the streaming methods to play off of localhost, or you could use
it to transmit up to a larger broadcasting system to distribute to
other consumers of the media.  It may be possible to do this with an
EAGI and sox and named pipes, but that's complex and easily lost to
the shifting sands of Google method searches.  It would be handy to
have all of that distilled in a channel driver that took the correct
arguments and went on it's way, and then possibly embedded into
Asterisk permanently.

JT