[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Performance as a B2BUA

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Nov 22 08:56:46 CST 2007

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Just as clarification: Asterisk can handle only 8.5 call setup requests
> per second on this powerful hardware?

Let me note that I do find this number to be disturbingly low.  We will
definitely be doing some work to determine bottlenecks and get this improved
very soon.  Steve Murphy is already in the process of converting a lot of the
key data structure management in chan_sip to use astobj2, which I believe will
help this out a lot.

Another issue is that there is only one thread for handling incoming SIP
requests, so the fact that it is dual core doesn't help.  But, that's not
something that is about to change soon.  Also, Asterisk does start a thread for
every new call, which can be rather expensive.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer