[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Performance as a B2BUA

Vadim Lebedev vadim at mbdsys.com
Thu Nov 22 11:08:21 CST 2007

Russell Bryant wrote:
> Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
>> Just as clarification: Asterisk can handle only 8.5 call setup requests
>> per second on this powerful hardware?
>>

> Let me note that I do find this number to be disturbingly low.  We will
> definitely be doing some work to determine bottlenecks and get this improved
> very soon.  Steve Murphy is already in the process of converting a lot of the
> key data structure management in chan_sip to use astobj2, which I believe will
> help this out a lot.
>
> Another issue is that there is only one thread for handling incoming SIP
> requests, so the fact that it is dual core doesn't help.  But, that's not something that is about to change soon.

IMO it is not too difficult to change...  Create pool of threads pool
waiting on queue.
the main sip thread will read the sip packet from the socket and add it
to the queue
and raise a condition variable signalling packet arrival.

The first worker thread sleeping on condition will awaken wnd will get
the packet from the queue
and will handle it.

Thanks
Vadim