[asterisk-dev] dialplan redesign - don't forget characters (New topic)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Nov 21 03:01:46 CST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 09:28:55AM +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:

> > Really, this is not an area where you can afford playing and putting
> > in
> > small patches to see how they fix one or the other problem.
> > The correctness of extension matching is something that people
> > really must rely on, because in the end it is directly involved
> > with security, billing and so on.
> >
> One thing that has to be considered as well if we redesign is
> alphanumeric

There is nothing preventing alphanumeric extensions at least in the
old matching algorithm - the only annoyance is the need to 'escape'
some characters ( _ N Z X / come to mind ) as [N] [Z] etc.  to
override their special meaning on asterisk patterns.

But then, this is trivial to overcome by providing an alternative
syntax for extensions (and supporting both in parallel is easy)
and besides all regexp implementations have their own special characters.

cheers
luigi