[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] rizzo: trunk r89452 - in?/trunk: acinclude.m4 configure configure.ac

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Tue Nov 20 14:21:32 CST 2007

On 13:24, Tue 20 Nov 07, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Simon Perreault wrote:
> > I've had some issues with the fact that configure is in SVN. They took a lot
> > of time to resolve. The minuscule amount of time that this is taking me to
> > write is nothing compared to what would have been saved.
>
> I sincerely apologize that you had a problem due to the fact that the configure
> script is in svn.  Obviously, you are aware of that fact now, and it should be
> ok in the future.
>
> Unfortunately, you fell into the extreme minority in this situation.  The number
> of people that change the configure script is extremely small, and the burden of
> dealing with it being in svn is on us.  However, by doing so, we alleviate that
> burden from the many, many thousands of people who are building Asterisk from
> source.
>
> My opinion is that I am willing to take on this extra small burden so that we
> can make Asterisk just a little bit easier to compile and install on the various
> platforms that people use.  I agree that the burden isn't that large whichever
> way we go, but I really don't feel like it is any more work for us having it there.

I'm really glad you outlined your view on things this way.
I have a couple of OpenBSD boxen that are not able to run
autoconf > 2.59 and some of them dont have it at all.

The need for a box to generate this file for all other
installations is not an option.

Hell, if people think it's too much work to keep it updated
and svn commit it I will setup some webinterface to download
the latest generated version and ask digium to include that
url in some official doc.
--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu