[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] rizzo: trunk r89452 - in?/trunk: acinclude.m4 configure configure.ac

Simon Perreault simon.perreault at viagenie.ca
Tue Nov 20 13:13:12 CST 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 13:55:45 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> "pretty much" != "every". As a matter of fact one of my main boxes
> has freebsd.4.11 and autoconf is stuck at 2.59 and there are reasons
> why i need to run asterisk there and i cannot upgrade certain pieces
> of software or hardware. BTW building and running software on a
> variety of platforms helps a lot finding bugs and bogus assumptions
> in the code.

So basically what you do now is generate configure on another box and use it
on the FreeBSD box. Not putting the generated configure in SVN would not
change a thing for you.

> But irrespective of my or your needs, autotools are for portability,
> and it would be a total waste of time to use them and support only
> platform X.

Sure, but they require that the developer has access to the Autotools.
Pretending otherwise is wishful thinking.

> As it is a waste of time this discussion.

I've had some issues with the fact that configure is in SVN. They took a lot
of time to resolve. The minuscule amount of time that this is taking me to
write is nothing compared to what would have been saved.

Nobody's forcing you to participate (or to be this hostile).