[asterisk-dev] More "concise" CLI commands - something we really want?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Nov 15 09:35:18 CST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 15:23 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 01:49:18PM +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:
> >
> > 15 nov 2007 kl. 13.22 Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> > > 1. "concise" tend to better fit in a 80-column terminal (such as the
> > > Linux console).
> > That won't be the case with other listings - we have much more
> > information
> > than what fits. The normal listings try to handle that by cutting off
> > data.
>
> Or provide different formatting or whatever. There are a number of
> methods for doing that. A problem here is that the Asterisk server
> cannot ask for settings of the client terminal (e.g: COLUMNS).

I created the patch because it shows the entire call ID. When I found
'concise' it was one of those "oh cool!" moments. I really like it.

> > I think it's simple to enable manager. We just need to provide a good
> > script that outputs the data in many different ways, maybe using awk
> > or something classy?
>
> This implies that you have a manager account set up properly and
> securely in a default Asterisk installation.

Exactly. I don't have manager set up and really haven't played with it
much. Like many users I am familiar with the CLI. I find value in being
able to see the untruncated call data without having to switch gears or
learn something new. TMTOWTDI and all that.

That said, the CLI also does tab complete on the call ID so that solves
my problem too. I certainly will survive without this patch, but I
definitely would use it if it was there.

Corey