[asterisk-dev] More "concise" CLI commands - something we really want?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Nov 15 07:23:18 CST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 01:49:18PM +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:

> 15 nov 2007 kl. 13.22 Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> > 1. "concise" tend to better fit in a 80-column terminal (such as the
> > Linux console).
> That won't be the case with other listings - we have much more
> information
> than what fits. The normal listings try to handle that by cutting off
> data.

Or provide different formatting or whatever. There are a number of
methods for doing that. A problem here is that the Asterisk server
cannot ask for settings of the client terminal (e.g: COLUMNS).

> I think it's simple to enable manager. We just need to provide a good
> script that outputs the data in many different ways, maybe using awk
> or something classy?

This implies that you have a manager account set up properly and
securely in a default Asterisk installation.

I rather like the usage of file permissions on a socket for granitng
permissions. Doing the same with IP sockets is not as straight-forward.
Furthermore, there's an explicit login process.

If someone comes up with a nice readline (or similar) based interactive
client that connects to Asterisk and Just Works (completion included) I
would re-consider this. I do find the inclusion of the CLI in Asterisk
as rather non-elegant (yeah, I know, this is just ranting with no code
attached to it)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com