[asterisk-dev] More "concise" CLI commands - something we really want?

Olle E Johansson olle at voop.com
Thu Nov 15 06:49:18 CST 2007

15 nov 2007 kl. 13.22 skrev Tzafrir Cohen:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 12:43:40PM +0100, Johansson Olle E wrote:
>> While browsing the bug tracker today, I found a patch for adding more
>> "concise" commands to the SIP channel.
>>
>> My personal opinion is that I don't like adapting the CLI for machine
>> parsing. If we're about to do that, we might
>> as well convert all CLI listings in one big janitor project. But we
>> already have the manager for that kind of
>> communication - machine-parseable. We could easily write a wrapper
>> for /utils that replaces "asterisk -x"
>> for web applications and other scripts.
>>
>> I propose that we deprecate the existing "concise" commands in trunk,
>> don't accept new ones and refer
>> users and developers to our lovely AMI solution.
>
> I have two potential issues with this:
>
> 1. "concise" tend to better fit in a 80-column terminal (such as the
> Linux console).
That won't be the case with other listings - we have much more
information
than what fits. The normal listings try to handle that by cutting off
data.

I think it's simple to enable manager. We just need to provide a good
script that outputs the data in many different ways, maybe using awk
or something classy?

/O