[asterisk-dev] More "concise" CLI commands - something we really want?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Nov 15 06:22:26 CST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 12:43:40PM +0100, Johansson Olle E wrote:
> While browsing the bug tracker today, I found a patch for adding more
> "concise" commands to the SIP channel.
>
> My personal opinion is that I don't like adapting the CLI for machine
> parsing. If we're about to do that, we might
> as well convert all CLI listings in one big janitor project. But we
> already have the manager for that kind of
> communication - machine-parseable. We could easily write a wrapper
> for /utils that replaces "asterisk -x"
> for web applications and other scripts.
>
> I propose that we deprecate the existing "concise" commands in trunk,
> don't accept new ones and refer
> users and developers to our lovely AMI solution.

I have two potential issues with this:

1. "concise" tend to better fit in a 80-column terminal (such as the
Linux console).

2. asterisk -rx "just works" if you're a local root. manager requires
extra setup.

As for (2), I consider what Debian did for mysql - add an extra account
on install-time who can connect from localhost only. The password for it
is written in a separate mysql client file that only root can read:

# cat /etc/mysql/debian.cnf
# Automatically generated for Debian scripts. DO NOT TOUCH!
[client]
host     = localhost
user     = debian-sys-maint
password = <some-randome-blabla>
socket   = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
[mysql_upgrade]
user     = debian-sys-maint
password = <same-above-random-blabla>
socket   = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
basedir  = /usr

So, what would be the equivalent for the manager interface? Quite
implementation-dependent. It's quite tricky to even assure a specific
account will be injected into manager.conf .

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com