[asterisk-dev] The New CDR system

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Mar 30 14:41:12 MST 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Russell Bryant wrote:

> Steve Edwards wrote:
>> What would the advantage be to send the CDRs over IAX?
>
> I'm just thinking out loud, really.  I'm not terribly familiar with the
> networking capabilities of remotely connecting to databases.  However, if you
> have to open up IAX2 on your network, anyway, it means you don't also have to
> open your network for the database traffic.
>
> Also, if whatever storage method you would like to use for the logs of call
> events was not accessible over the network, then this would provide that
> ability.

The no-nat-nonsense attribute of IAX could be significant.

However, you are mixing "very-real-time" traffic with
"not-quite-so-real-time" traffic. A database query that takes another
500msec is usually not a show stopper.

Also, IAX is UDP and database connections are (usually?) TCP. How do you
see resolving this?

Thanks in advance,