[asterisk-dev] Request for Vote on 5208, SayAlpha does not read special characteres such as "," and "/"

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Thu Mar 15 07:58:14 MST 2007

OK, here's the quick summary: If enough developers vote "yes" for this
enhancement, Digium will pay for the recordings, and include them in the
core release, along with finishing the code enhancements, in at least
the trunk.

The bug is 5208, an ancient enhancement request, submitted in Sept 2005,
basically requesting that SayAlpha be expanded to include stuff like
"semicolon" (;) and "colon" (:), and a series of others. This will
require a few changes to the SayAlpha routines, and a small boatload of
new sounds.

As the bug discussion went back and forth, the list of new sounds grew
to:

(symbol)  phrase (en)
(:)        colon
(;)        semicolon
(_)        underscore
(,)        comma
(|)        pipe
(\)        back-slash
(%)        percent
(~)        tilde
(^)        carot
(&)        ampersand
(()        left paren
())        right paren
([)        left square brace
(])        right square brace
({)        left curly brace
(})        right curly brace
(<)        less-than
(>)        greater-than
(')        single-quote
(")        double-quote
(?)        question-mark
(`)        back-quote
(#)        hash (for the en-GB crowd)
(#)        pound
(*)        Asterisk

Mogorman actually got all these recorded last year in English, but at a
lower sampling rate, and they don't meet standards any more, and will
have to be re-recorded.

If the vote for this addition is positive, I offered to have the
translators into French/Spanish specify the extra characters that are a
part of those languages, and the extra phrases that would be necessary
to record to be able to speak them.
(You know, like é, and suchlike).I would spend some time and update the
SayAlpha code to make these work.

The rub is that the sounds will cost Digium several hundreds of dollars
to record, and that doesn't count the time that it would take to update
the code to use the new sounds. Is it worth the effort?

Rather than burden thousands of folks with your vote by replying via the
list, please just send to me personally, and I'll tally the results and
report back in a few days. I don't want to squelch any useful discussion
about this issue tho, and if you have something to say, go ahead and say
it. Heck, I didn't even need to say that, did I? ;)

murf

--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer