[asterisk-dev] Unified Asterisk Interface

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 09:06:15 CST 2007

In article <200712111502.37363.dr at ina-germany.de>,
David Roden <dr at ina-germany.de> wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007 20:17:58 Jim Capp wrote:
>
> > This makes sense, but it is a little scary.  I like the separation of
> > AGI and AMI from Asterisk.
>
> And that separation makes sense. What does not make sense (IMHO) is that there
> are two APIs that each allow you to access a certain subset of Asterisk's
> features only and no API that can be used to utilize every feature Asterisk
> has to offer. (Just to make sure: The kind of API I'm talking about allows
> access to Asterisk's features without access to the source code.)

I'm having trouble seeing your point. AGI and AMI are logically distinct
from each other.

AGI is a channel-local interface into an active call, allowing you to do
things in that call like playing files, reading DTMF, setting or getting
variables, etc.

In contrast, AMI is a global view of the whole server, for monitoring all
the activity, originating calls, managing configuration, etc.

I can't see what would be gained by merging them, nor how this could
elegantly be achieved.  I use both, each for their intended purpose.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield