[asterisk-dev] Unified Asterisk Interface

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 09:38:24 CST 2007

> I'm having trouble seeing your point. AGI and AMI are logically distinct
> from each other.
The fact that they are distinct from each other does not mean they
cannot benefit of working together. As I said, sometimes you want the
flow of your AGI depend on events that are only available thru AMI.
Yes, sure you can handle to communicate each others using several
techniques, but it is much easier to have both AGI and AMI from a
single interface.

> AGI is a channel-local interface into an active call, allowing you to do
> things in that call like playing files, reading DTMF, setting or getting
> variables, etc.
The problem here comes when you want to do all that stuff based on
events that happen on others channels. Since AGI is limited to its own
private channel, it does not "see" what is going on on the rest of the
PBX. Sometimes you want to know and re-act based on what happens on
the rest of the PBX to execute all the nice stuff you mention.

> In contrast, AMI is a global view of the whole server, for monitoring all
> the activity, originating calls, managing configuration, etc.
And having such a global view of the PBX, it can take more powerful
decisions about what to do with a call.

> I can't see what would be gained by merging them, nor how this could
> elegantly be achieved.  I use both, each for their intended purpose.

This is my proposal: http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=11282
What it is wrong with it?
I really would appreciate your feedback about it, why is not "elegant"
or "functional"?

Regards,

Moisés Silva