[asterisk-dev] Question about hup_handler & deadlocks

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Sep 24 19:39:48 MST 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 12:58, Jay Hoover wrote:
> Thanks, that makes sense. One thing that I don't understand is what
> situations in normal Asterisk operation would cause a SIGHUP to get
> sent to the daemon. I'm getting a lot of these deadlocks, and I'm
> suspicious that there is a problem somewhere else causing me to get
> an abnormal volume of SIGHUPs. I will do more tracing to track that
> down, but do you know of anything in normal operation that would
> cause a large volume of SIGHUPs?

There is only one situation in normal use that I can think of which
would cause a sighup to be innocently sent.  That is, when the user
who started the asterisk daemon logs out, a SIGHUP will be sent to all
processes the user started, including the Asterisk daemon.

It is also possible that a SIGHUP is sent on a weekly or monthly cron,
as part of an attempt by the system to get long-running processes to
clean up their memory.

--
Tilghman