[asterisk-dev] A rewrite of Asterisk::AGI

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Fri Sep 22 11:11:40 MST 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> When one looks for "asterisk perl", the first hit is
> http://asterisk.gnuinter.net/ , where one can find Games Golovich's
> Asterisk perl modules. Most people tend to just use Asterisk::AGI of
> those.
>
> As we wanted to distribute software that uses Asterisk::AGI, we noticed
> that the asterisk-perl tarball and the site lack any distribution
> license of any form.  I tried to contact the author. So have others.
> But he has not responded to any such request.
>
> All Mr. Golovich has to do is simple: clarify the licensing terms of the
> modules in the asterisk-perl distribution. People seem to assume that
> just because the code is availble on the internet it may be freely
> copied , modified and redistributed.
>
> So in the recent week I have deceided that enough is enough and that I
> have no hope of getting any reply from the author. Thus I started
> reimplementing the modue Asterisk::AGI.
>
> I attach a lousy implementation that is good enough to run the sample
> script in its documentation. This should be something that better perl
> coders should be able to hack. And I hope that it will give some
> motivation to the author to response.

  I rewrote it too, and better documentation.  Attached.  I'm pretty happy
  with it, it's not a hack.

  I told James I was going to take the code I rewrote and put it in CPAN for
  my own sanity.  Then he replied (!) and said (as recently as the last
  week) he's releasing a new version.  If I don't like it, I'm willing to
  start the fight and post my own.  Maybe I'll call it something else.  Yah,
  it's a derivative work, but yay for GPL.

  For as many people that use it, it needs more attention than I feel James
  has given it.

Beckman
beckman at purplecow.com                             http://www.purplecow.com/