[asterisk-dev] bug #7911

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 04:16:14 MST 2006

On 9/11/06, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 11:41:04AM +0200, Raphael Jacquot wrote:
> >
> > the resolution of http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=7911 appears to me
> > as a case of "lets not bother with this" wereas there's a real
> > underlying problem
> >
> > I installed the sound bits with the make menuselect and then make
> > install stuff, and the sound bits were set in the following pattern
> >
> > /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/
> >                          fr/
> >                             digits/
> >
> > which actually makes sense. you add a directory for all the french
> > stuff, then replicate the subdirectories of the default language (in
> > this case, english). this allows removing or installing new languages by
> > just copying a single directory tree under the sounds directory
> >
> > now, the manager that closed the bug insists that having "fr"
> > directories all over the tree is the proper way to do it.
> >
> > I respectfully disagree with him, and request this issue be discussed in
> > the list.
>
> The problem with that approach is that it assumes that you have a base
> directory.
>
> If you want to give a full path to the sound file, the only place to add
> a language suffix is just before the sound file itself.
>
> You can also work around that problem with symlinks: fr/digits -> digits/fr

And I respectfully have to agree with the first two posters that the
current structure is un-natural (IMHO symlinks are more a temporary
workaround than a fix).

You say "The problem with that approach is that it assumes that you
have a base directory" - I would respond "You appear to have
identified your problem then :-)"

Of course the system should know where the sounds base directory is,
and it should therefore be able to support the use of
SOUNDS_DIR/LANG_DIR/path/file. In my experience, 99% of soundfiles are
referred to using something like:
  Playback(path/file)
Which, in the current code, requires extra work to insert the language
in the right place!

Just my 2p.
Steve