[asterisk-dev] bug #7911

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Sep 11 03:09:11 MST 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 11:41:04AM +0200, Raphael Jacquot wrote:

> the resolution of http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=7911 appears to me
> as a case of "lets not bother with this" wereas there's a real
> underlying problem
>
> I installed the sound bits with the make menuselect and then make
> install stuff, and the sound bits were set in the following pattern
>
> /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/
>                          fr/
>                             digits/
>
> which actually makes sense. you add a directory for all the french
> stuff, then replicate the subdirectories of the default language (in
> this case, english). this allows removing or installing new languages by
> just copying a single directory tree under the sounds directory
>
> now, the manager that closed the bug insists that having "fr"
> directories all over the tree is the proper way to do it.
>
> I respectfully disagree with him, and request this issue be discussed in
> the list.
>
> (no, it's not for the -2 karma points, about which I don't really care)

The problem with that approach is that it assumes that you have a base
directory.

If you want to give a full path to the sound file, the only place to add
a language suffix is just before the sound file itself.

You can also work around that problem with symlinks: fr/digits -> digits/fr

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com     http://www.xorcom.com