[asterisk-dev] Re: chan_bluetooth patch for SVN trunk

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Oct 23 04:14:15 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 11:58 +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> The following patch enables chan_bluetooth to compile under SVN trunk. It is
> a diff against the code in the infradead CVS server; see
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2005-May/012465.html

If you have a disclaimer on file, you're welcome to an account there so
that you can commit to it. I doubt I'll be maintaining it any more
myself -- I used to use it on my PowerBook for calling home with a
Bluetooth headset, but now I'm using OpenPBX instead.

> Notes on operation
> ------------------
>
> It "kind of" works. That is, I had it paired with a headset and was able to
> make a call to it. It's flaky as hell - however, from what I've read before,
> chan_bluetooth is flaky as hell anyway :-)
>
> The received audio in the headset is fine. The sent microphone audio is
> extremely quiet, and I have to hold the thing right in front of my mouth to
> show that it's working. But this might be an artefact of the particular
> headset I'm testing, rather than chan_bluetooth.
>
> Error state 1: it gets into a state where Asterisk thinks its placing a
> call, but no ringing tone appears in the headeset.

 <...>

> Error state 2: it loops infinitely saying

 <...>

> Error state 3: Asterisk thinks the headset is busy, when it isn't, and then
> loses comms with it completely.

I hope it's not heretical to suggest this here, but could you try with
the chan_bluetooth in OpenPBX? There are Fedora packages in Fedora
Extras, and they should build on CentOS without too much hassle (you'll
just need to fix the bit which adds the openpbx user).

I'm not sure of the disclaimer status of Theo's original chan_bluetooth
code, but I have a disclaimer on file with Digium and I'm happy for
anything _I_ commit to chan_bluetooth in OpenPBX SVN to be merged into
Asterisk under that disclaimer.

In fact, that probably goes for _anything_ I commit to OpenPBX SVN --
just ask me first about specific cases. I didn't switch because of the
licensing issue; that was the reason I almost _didn't_ switch. I
switched because I wanted to get rid of the Zaptel dependencies in the
_core_ code and use POSIX timers instead. The presence of chan_bluetooth
and app_conference was just an added benefit.

--
dwmw2