[asterisk-dev] extend IAX2 IE proposal

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 29 16:14:18 MST 2006

Di-Shi Sun wrote:
> 1. What is the IE identification number we should propose? IAX2 has used
> 0x01 to 0x33.  Corydon76 had posted a patch on bugs.digium.com that used
> 0x32. We wonder if there is any suggestion for how to use this
> identification number resource.

We don't have any formal process for assigning IE numbers, so I'd
suggest just posting a patch to the issue tracker when your code is
ready, and when it is merged the final number assignment will be made.
There is very little activity in this area, so it's not likely your
proposed number will become unavailable.

> 2. Our info data will be more than 256 bytes, but less than normal MTU
> of UDP. As we know that one IE block can only carry 256 or less bytes
> data. The "Date Length" is a byte. If we use multiple IE blocks, there
> are two solutions, one is using multiple IE types. Another is using one
> IE type, but adding a sequence number in DATA. The first one will
> consume more the identification number resource. The second one will
> bring some other issues. We want to know if this issue had been discussed.

IAX2 does not currently support having multiple instances of the same IE
number in a single frame, as far as I know, so I don't think your
sequence number method would work.