[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Nov 8 16:23:24 MST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 04:32:24PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > I think the changes required would be a new API call in the tech API,
> > a minuscule function to run the call, and individual modifications
> > to those technologies who support multiple peers (in the case of sip,
> > i don't see huge changes).
>
> What you are missing is that there are existing parts of Asterisk that
> are _device_ (not _extension_ centric), including device state
> notifications (which turn into dialplan hints). Having an outbound call

in fact i have absolutely no idea how "hints" work or what they are,
even though someone (you ?) explained them to me once.

> 'fork' into multiple real calls without Asterisk being aware of it is
> also something that most people are not prepared for.

hmmm... above i was just suggesting to replicate what already exists now:
surely you can use a variable as a Dial() argument, and the variable
can be set from an external program (AGI?) or whatever, so there
isn't any real difference here...

> Your hypothetical service provider example is nice, but I doubt very
> many service providers today (even those not using Asterisk) will
> support multiple devices being registered and using their service
> without them being involved in the process. I could be wrong, but the
> examples I've heard of from existing providers say otherwise :-)

surely they will try to sell you the feature for an extra, or use
it to promote their service...

as i said, the better (and simpler) example is the following one:

	on a traditional phone line you can connect phones in parallel, and
	they all ring together, as long as you stay within the allowed
	Ringer Equivalence Number.

	One would expects to be able to do the same with VoIP,
	even if the wires are virtual.

cheers
luigi