[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 8 15:32:24 MST 2006

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> I think the changes required would be a new API call in the tech API,
> a minuscule function to run the call, and individual modifications
> to those technologies who support multiple peers (in the case of sip,
> i don't see huge changes).

What you are missing is that there are existing parts of Asterisk that
are _device_ (not _extension_ centric), including device state
notifications (which turn into dialplan hints). Having an outbound call
'fork' into multiple real calls without Asterisk being aware of it is
also something that most people are not prepared for.

Your hypothetical service provider example is nice, but I doubt very
many service providers today (even those not using Asterisk) will
support multiple devices being registered and using their service
without them being involved in the process. I could be wrong, but the
examples I've heard of from existing providers say otherwise :-)