[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Wed Nov 8 15:40:19 MST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, John Lange wrote:

> Just for the record I would definitely love to see the registration of
> multiple endpoints using the same credentials.
>
> It would make life so much easier for managing accounts instead of
> having to create a new entry in sip.conf every time.
>
> There are many scenarios where it would be nice but here is two simple
> examples we run into all the time:
>
> Customer returns a VoIP device for whatever reason and is given a new
> one. We want to recycle the old device but we are now have to plug it
> into a segmented network otherwise the device comes up and registers
> with Asterisk disrupting the customers phone service.
>
> Also clients frequently want to configure softphones; one at home, one
> at work, one on their laptop, etc. etc. Its a persistent hassle having
> to respond to all these requests modifying both the sip.conf and the
> dialplan every time. If Asterisk supported multiple registrations
> nothing would have to be done to accommodate this.
>
> One note though; in sip.conf there does need to be a config option for
> maximum registrations to prevent clients from hooking up 100 devices or
> something.

  So similar to a DID ringing multiple SIP extensions simultaneously:

     Dial(sip at foo&sip at bar&sip at baz)

  You want Asterisk, if configured, to ring all the devices that have used
  the same registration when you Dial(sip at foo).  Asterisk without a config
  flag set for that SIP user would do what it does now -- overwrite the most
  recent registration.  If the flag were set, asterisk would allow multiple
  registrations, and ring all registered devices when that context was
  dialed.

  Yes?

Beckman