[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

John Lange j.lange at epic.ca
Wed Nov 8 15:07:45 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 11:13 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Also, in many _real_ installations, people use multiple SIP entity
> definitions for the same endpoint (like my Polycom 601 has three of them
> for different purposes) and the dialplan has to know how to handle these
> different entities properly anyway.
>
> If this is really something that people want, it sounds to me a like a
> small script could probably suffice... there's not much need for this to
> actually live inside Asterisk, especially since that starts to move into
> the territory of 'policy' rather than 'mechanism'.

Just for the record I would definitely love to see the registration of
multiple endpoints using the same credentials.

It would make life so much easier for managing accounts instead of
having to create a new entry in sip.conf every time.

There are many scenarios where it would be nice but here is two simple
examples we run into all the time:

Customer returns a VoIP device for whatever reason and is given a new
one. We want to recycle the old device but we are now have to plug it
into a segmented network otherwise the device comes up and registers
with Asterisk disrupting the customers phone service.

Also clients frequently want to configure softphones; one at home, one
at work, one on their laptop, etc. etc. Its a persistent hassle having
to respond to all these requests modifying both the sip.conf and the
dialplan every time. If Asterisk supported multiple registrations
nothing would have to be done to accommodate this.

One note though; in sip.conf there does need to be a config option for
maximum registrations to prevent clients from hooking up 100 devices or
something.

Just my 2c.

John