[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Nov 8 10:07:34 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 08:29 -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> The not-so-easy part (to me at least) is how to make this dynamic
> - e.g. buy a new _device_, configure with appropriate credentials,
> and have it dynamically (i.e. as it registers/unregisters)
> linked to a certain extension together with
> the other devices in the group without having to modify the dialplan.
>
> If there is a well known trick to achieve this, it would be
> surely worthwhile documenting it in sip.conf or some other
> prominent place. It would cut a lot of questions.

Cisco CallManagers have a concept called "automatic registration".   If
a Call Manager cluster has automatic registration enabled the cluster
will create a new device entry in its database (based upon a template
created by the admin) and assign a unique directory number when a new
Cisco phone connects to the network.  Needless to say this is very
specific Cisco CallManager and Cisco IP phones running the SCCP
firmware.

There is nothing built into Asterisk that performs a similar function.
Given the plethora of SIP phones available today and the differences
between the SIP and SCCP protocols I would imagine that a general
solution would be difficult to implement.

However, it would certainly be possible to build something like this
into chan_skinny given time and resources.  Of course that limits you to
Cisco IP phones but that might be an acceptable limitation for some
people.

It might be possible to build a system for certain classes of SIP
phones, especially if the SIP phone is capable of using DHCP or some
other mechanism to discover a configuration server of some kind.

Jeff