[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Nov 8 09:29:46 MST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:53:55AM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Alexei Volkov wrote:
> > Is it possible (in theory) to make asterisk server multiple sip endponts
> > configured with same sip credentials.
>
> Of course it's possible (in theory). Asterisk is software, software can
> be programmed to do anything people want it to do.
>
> <snip>
>
> > If asterisk can support multiple sip enpoints with same credentials  i
> > have simplify routint to them with simple Dial(SIP/0001) instead of
> > Dial(SIP/0001&SIP/0002&SIP/0003)  command and save dialplan numbers (one
> > instead of three in my case).
> >

> In spite of the fact that it is possible, we have no plans nor desire to
> make this change. Asterisk treats SIP devices as _devices_, which means
> it needs to be able to handle them individually. Turning devices into
> _extensions_ is the responsibility of the dialplan, where it is very
> very easy to do what you want to do (as your example shows).

The not-so-easy part (to me at least) is how to make this dynamic
- e.g. buy a new _device_, configure with appropriate credentials,
and have it dynamically (i.e. as it registers/unregisters)
linked to a certain extension together with
the other devices in the group without having to modify the dialplan.

If there is a well known trick to achieve this, it would be
surely worthwhile documenting it in sip.conf or some other
prominent place. It would cut a lot of questions.

	cheers
	luigi