[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Wed Nov 8 16:27:04 MST 2006

Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 08:29 -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
>> The not-so-easy part (to me at least) is how to make this dynamic
>> - e.g. buy a new _device_, configure with appropriate credentials,
>> and have it dynamically (i.e. as it registers/unregisters)
>> linked to a certain extension together with
>> the other devices in the group without having to modify the dialplan.
>>
>> If there is a well known trick to achieve this, it would be
>> surely worthwhile documenting it in sip.conf or some other
>> prominent place. It would cut a lot of questions.
>>

> Cisco CallManagers have a concept called "automatic registration".   If
> a Call Manager cluster has automatic registration enabled the cluster
> will create a new device entry in its database (based upon a template
> created by the admin) and assign a unique directory number when a new
> Cisco phone connects to the network.  Needless to say this is very
> specific Cisco CallManager and Cisco IP phones running the SCCP
> firmware.

See chan_unistim. As of 1.0.4c, there're 2 ways to dynamically add new
device/extension without having to edit the config. You can use an
automatic template or let chan_unistim prompt the user for a 'TN' (I
think it's Terminal Number). The TN method is loosely modeled after
Nortel's auto provisioning procedure. Kudos
to Cedric.

Leo