[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 8 08:53:55 MST 2006

Alexei Volkov wrote:
> Is it possible (in theory) to make asterisk server multiple sip endponts
> configured with same sip credentials.

Of course it's possible (in theory). Asterisk is software, software can
be programmed to do anything people want it to do.

<snip>

> If asterisk can support multiple sip enpoints with same credentials  i
> have simplify routint to them with simple Dial(SIP/0001) instead of
> Dial(SIP/0001&SIP/0002&SIP/0003)  command and save dialplan numbers (one
> instead of three in my case).

In spite of the fact that it is possible, we have no plans nor desire to
make this change. Asterisk treats SIP devices as _devices_, which means
it needs to be able to handle them individually. Turning devices into
_extensions_ is the responsibility of the dialplan, where it is very
very easy to do what you want to do (as your example shows).

Part of your problem is that you are making an assumption that your SIP
device identifiers have to be the same format (and come from the same
number space) as your extensions ("dialplan numbers"). This is a faulty
assumption; they are completely unrelated and generally using the same
numbers in both places only causes confusion. Your SIP devices can be
called anything you want (many people use device MAC addresses or
portions of them for hardphones, for example), and the extensions can be
numeric as you have shown.