[asterisk-dev] Variable Inheritance, Setting Channel Variables outside of current context

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed May 17 14:30:06 MST 2006

Peter Beckman wrote:

>  You did; I felt they were two different questions -- -users to ask if it
>  could be done and how to do it, and -dev to ask how to document it, and
>  potentially determine if it should be a requested feature or not.

Documentation questions belong on asterisk-doc, not asterisk-dev.

>  I used context to describe my location in a dialplan.  As I understand it,
>  a channel can be active in several contexts.  When discussing variable
>  inheritance between channels, shouldn't I mention in what context I'm
>  setting and accessing those variables?

No. Variables do not have any relationship to contexts, and channel is
never 'active' in more than one context.

>  In this situation, the 'parent context' would be 'foo', and the 'child
>  context' would be 'macro-bar' or just 'bar' for variable inheritance
>  discussions?  Channel variables set in foo such as _FOO and __FOO would be
>  inherited by the macro called by the Dial() in 'foo' context, right?

No. Inheritance is between channels, it has nothing to do with contexts
or macros at all.

>  I'll put the inter-channel communication into Mantis as a feature request.

Please don't. Mantis is not a place to put wishlist items. Put them on
the wiki, post a bounty, or just let it live in the list archives in
case someone finds it.