[asterisk-dev] Variable Inheritance, Setting Channel Variables outside of current context

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Thu May 18 07:24:49 MST 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Peter Beckman wrote:
>
>>  You did; I felt they were two different questions -- -users to ask if it
>>  could be done and how to do it, and -dev to ask how to document it, and
>>  potentially determine if it should be a requested feature or not.
>
> Documentation questions belong on asterisk-doc, not asterisk-dev.

  Fair enough; are there people from -dev who monitor asterisk-doc for
  code-specific questions?  Or once a code-specific question about
  documentation comes up, is it appropriate to post in -dev?  I'm happy to
  follow whatever convention you'd like to get clarification for
  documentation -- direct developer contact, post to -dev, mail a letter...
  :-) hehe

  If the process is "Check the CVS logs to see who has committed the code in
  question, then mail them directly" that's fine too; I want to get docs
  right AND not be annoying.

>>  I used context to describe my location in a dialplan.  As I understand it,
>>  a channel can be active in several contexts.  When discussing variable
>>  inheritance between channels, shouldn't I mention in what context I'm
>>  setting and accessing those variables?
>
> No. Variables do not have any relationship to contexts, and channel is
> never 'active' in more than one context.

  At a time, or ever?  Can't I Goto(new-context|600|1) and jump into a new
  context in a given channel?  Or does that change the channel?

  I think I meant "active in several contexts" during its lifetime, not at
  any given time.  Didn't say that so well, my bad.

>>  In this situation, the 'parent context' would be 'foo', and the 'child
>>  context' would be 'macro-bar' or just 'bar' for variable inheritance
>>  discussions?  Channel variables set in foo such as _FOO and __FOO would be
>>  inherited by the macro called by the Dial() in 'foo' context, right?
>
> No. Inheritance is between channels, it has nothing to do with contexts
> or macros at all.

  I see my confusion, thanks for setting me straight.

>>  I'll put the inter-channel communication into Mantis as a feature request.
>
> Please don't. Mantis is not a place to put wishlist items. Put them on
> the wiki, post a bounty, or just let it live in the list archives in
> case someone finds it.

  Whoops, sorry, I think I got confused with another project that uses the
  bug tracker for feature requests.  :-)

Beckman