[asterisk-dev] Making some changes to chan_sip and wouldlikesomefeedback

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri May 12 08:02:12 MST 2006

Alejandro Kauffmann wrote:
> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>> My only comment is that using "extension" to refer to an entry in the
>> current sip.conf is insane.  SIP devices are not extensions.  They are
>> devices which may or may not have more than one entry in sip.conf (one
>> for each "line"/call appearance).  Perhaps <sip_account>.conf would be a
>> better term.
>
> Agreed "extension" was a poor choice.  We are actually thinking in terms of
> devices, but had not considered
> multiple appearance devices.  Perhaps <account>.conf (since we are placing
> them in a sip directory) or <sip_account>.conf (as suggested) would be more
> accurate.

We use the MAC address as the SIP User ID.  For example the Polycom IP
50x have 3 call appearances.  We register each line as a separate SIP
user ID.  First line MAC-a, second line MAC-b, etc.  This helps to
prevent anyone from thinking a device is an extension.

--
Now accepting new clients in Birmingham, Atlanta, Huntsville,
Chattanooga, and Montgomery.